The photograph right shows Jimmy Dennis, the first Golf Club professional putting on the green at Hempton. It was recorded in a 1920s Guide Book that he was a great character who had a heavy limp and always wore a bowler hat. The photograph shows cottages which remain at Hempton today and also shows a member, Mr. R.B. Andrews and two boy caddies. The windmill shown in the background is no longer standing.
It is interesting to note that in the 1920s a round of golf was 1/-, a day 1/6d, a week 3/-, a fortnight 5/- and a month 7/6d!
The original Golf Club was formed on 9th February 1889 as recorded in the following newspaper extract:
A meeting of gentlemen living in this town and neighbourhood was held at the Kings Head Inn, Hempton to form a golf club, a green having been found specially adapted for the game. Among those present were Sir Laurence J. Jones, Bart., the Rev. Straton Campbell, Weasenham, the Rev. J.R. Lane. Tatterford, the Rev. Rogers, Capt. K. Hamond, R.N . Dr. Robert Fenner, Cromer and Messrs. G.A. Watson, Algernon Digby, William Digby of Tittleshall, Alec Campbell of Weasenham and Henry Newson, Fakenham. It was unanimously resolved that a Golf Club should he started for Fakenham and district to lie called The Fakenham Golf Club and the Marquis of Townsend of Raynham Hall be asked to become President of the Club and Lord Hastings, Patron, the Rev. H. C. Rogers was elected Captain and a Committee consisting of the following gentlemen was formed: Mr. George A. Watson, Capt. Hamond, Mr. Algernon Digby and the Rev. J.R. Lane. It was also resolved that the rules should be based on those of the Cromer Golf Club and should be printed and issued in a paper cover, the annual subscription arranged was £1 for ordinary members and 10/- for members residing 15 miles from Fakenham. 14 gave in their names as members.
The photograph shows four golfers from the original club. They are Walter Brown, Mr. Clark, Geoffrey Campling and Mr. A. Bird. Geoffrey Campling was originally a ladies’ hairdresser in Norwich Street before moving to Yarmouth to become a restauranter. He was also the last winner in 1939 of the cup presented by Neville Vincent in 1914. The cup is still in our possession and is presented to the winner of the Neville Vincent Cup competition.
February 9th 1989. The captain at the time Johnny Wright is shown driving off from the site of an original green exactly 100 years to the day from the formation of Fakenham Golf Club